Saturday, November 17, 2007

Popovers

Plain Popovers
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk (low fat is fine)
melted butter, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 425F.
Grease a 12-cup muffin tin well with the melted butter and place in preheated oven for 1-2 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and salt. Sift flour over mixture and whisk until smooth.
Remove heated muffin tin from oven and divide the batter evenly into the buttered muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes at 425F for 25-30 min.
Makes 12 popovers.


Update: I've gotten better at these. Here's exactly what I do now.

I walk into the kitchen and I put hot water from the tap in a medium bowl about half full.

I put the 2 eggs (don't crack them yet) just put the cold eggs in the shell in the bowl and fill a glass measuring cup with 1 cup milk and I set that in the bowl - this makes them come to room temp quickly.

I turn on the oven to preheat. When the oven is hot enough I put the muffin tin in the oven,

I microwave a spoonful of Earth Balance Whipped Organic Butter spread in a small dish for 30 seconds.

I pour out the bowl of hot water into the sink and crack the eggs and put that in the same medium bowl with the salt and milk and whisk until mixed thoroughly.

I dump in a cup of flour and wisk until smooth - don't aerate, just mix, otherwise it's not as custardy in the middle when it's done.

I pour that mixture into the glass measuring cup that housed the milk - so you can pour into the muffin tin more easily.

Take the muffin tin out and brush each spot in the muffin tin with the melted butter using a silicone pastry brush.

Then quickly pour the batter about half way up the muffin cups.

Pop back into the oven for about 27 minutes and then eat immediately.

I saw on a tv cooking show that you can cut a little slit with a knife in each popover and put back in the oven to stay warm and you can do that but I found that they got tough. If you eat them right away they're great.

1 comment:

Jennifer Woods said...

These turned out great. I think had I let the eggs and milk come more to room temp, they would have been even better. They came out more doughy than I usually like but they were great. I served them with a strawberry butter (mixed some strawberry jam and room temp unsalted butter together)